There is nothing like a piping hot bowl of soup to warm you up on a cold winter's day. Although we finally turned the corner into March (hooray!), the weather here on the east coast has been uncomfortably chilly as of late. Big, down-filled coats, wool socks, and chunky sweaters are our daily uniform. Lucky me, I came home the other day to big warm hugs from my superman and a pot of his Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potato Soup, which warmed my insides too.
Keith and I, like a lot of people I know, are still holding firm to our New Year's resolution to eat healthier and lose weight. To be perfectly honest, this recipe is not helping in that fight. However, this creamy, hearty soup is just so incredibly delicious that I had to allow myself some on my "cheat day"... and just a little cup with my lunch salad....a few times this week. Everything in moderation??
I am not going to make excuses; this Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potato Soup simply pulls at this midwestern girl's heartstrings. Not only did Keith make it especially for me, but it truly is everything I love, all in one bowl! I simply do not have the willpower to say no. So instead I indulge a bit, head to the gym, and eat a lot of vegetables to balance out my day. These are the pros and cons of living with a great chef. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Rich and creamy Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potato Soup is a hearty meal in a bowl that will warm your soul. It's hearty, cheesy and satisfying on a cold day.
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ C flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups white potatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp chicken base
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 2 Cups Milk
- 4 Cups water
- 8 ounces Cream cheese
- 2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Cups Amazing Mashed Potatoes
- In a sauté pan, melt butter then add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- In a large stock pot, add water and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken base, broccoli and potatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add carrots.
- Cook for 5 minutes and using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Add milk and heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine the onions mixed with flour and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Add cream and cheddar cheese and stir until cheeses are melted.
- Add paprika and nutmeg and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place ½ Cup mashed potatoes in bowl and top with 1 Cup soup.
- Garnish with cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: potato, soup, cheddar, potato, creamy, rich, hearty, meal, easy