Peanut butter, chocolate, bananas: there are few better combinations on this earth. Keith and I agree that these three ingredients (or even two of the above mentioned three) are the perfect basis for some of our favorite treats. Don’t even get me started on my love of peanut butter (or any nut butter for that matter). And our freezer is never out of stock of frozen chocolate bananas (Trader Joe’s Gone Bananas! are the most amazing and affordable delicacies on the planet). So when were craving something sweet and summery-simple, this gem of a dessert was a natural. AND, it’s actually kind of good for you (you can choose to keep that information to yourself if you want).
For some reason, the topic of ice creams and sorbets keeps coming up when Keith and I are together. It may be because of the summer months, or that we find ourselves frequenting the frozen yogurt shop with the kids more often than we would like. At any rate, we have been experimenting with different summer frozen desserts….Stay tuned…. This yummy recipe, which I call “frozen peanut butter banana mash-up” was the perfect antidote to my sweet tooth. It tastes just like ice cream, it’s made with very few ingredients, and it’s so easy!
Keith couldn’t help himself; just creating the “ice cream” wasn’t good enough for him. He had to go the extra mile and concoct a fabulous Oreo cookie crust that functioned as a “nest” for our creation. Who am I to argue? I loved the extra chocolatey texture and crunch that the Oreos added to this dessert. Quite honestly, the ‘mash-up” is stellar on its own, assuming you have more self-control than I do….
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 4 TBSP margarine
- 6 Ripe Bananas
- ½ C Peanut butter
- ¼ C almond milk (or your favorite milk)
- 1 chocolate candy bar
- Peel and mash the bananas in a medium bowl and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place Oreo cookies in a food processor and blend to a crumb consistency.
- Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Melt margarine and mix into Oreo crumbs.
- Press crumbs into oven safe dish for a single serving.
- Preheat oven to 300 and place in oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Now back to banana mixture 🙂
- Add peanut butter and milk to bananas and mix with hand mixer for 10 minutes or so until whipped and fluffy consistency.
- Cover and return to freezer for 15 minutes.
- Once the cookie base has cooled you can scoop the banana mixture as you would ice cream onto the cookie crust.
- Shave or grate a chocolate bar on top for garnish and extra yummy flavor.
- Mixture will keep in freezer for up to 2 weeks.