We’ve been rolling the idea of Kale Pesto around in our heads for months. Our basil plants have been so good to us this year, providing a fresh punch of flavor with just a snip from the garden. Keith can make pesto with his eyes closed, so I am lucky enough to have it made for me upon request. I request it somewhat often. Sometimes I have to pinch myself. I feel like I’m having an “I Dream of Jeannie” moment: I just so much as close my eyes and wiggle my nose, and a beautiful meal appears before me. That’s what it’s like to share your life with a superman.
This Kale and Basil Pesto creation kind of went down that way. I asked Keith to work on it, not only because I am one of those weirdos that actually likes kale, but because we both keep seeing this leafy green everywhere. Keith’s clients are asking for it, and it is popping up on every menu we come in contact with. Pesto is a great way to “hide” kale if you have picky eaters in your house. Honestly, they will never know it’s there. This stuff tastes so good that you honestly forget it’s packed full of vitamins and all kinds of healthy stuff. As if that wasn’t enough, Keith served his beautiful creation on a bed of homemade semolina fettuccine (recipe to follow soon!) that we had a blast making together. My friends, this is my kind of meal. I am quite certain that I inhaled this dish in a very unattractive fashion. But what can I say? Keith has a way of making me feel like a queen (or in this case, a very cute TV sitcom star). For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about: don’t make me feel old. Google it.
- 1 C chopped kale
- ½ C chopped Basil
- ½ C olive oil
- ½ C Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ¼ C chopped almonds
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- In a food processor, place rough chopped almonds and garlic and pulse 3-4 times
- Add kale and basil and pulse until a fine consistency.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and pulse together.
- Add olive oil slowly while processor is running on low.
- Transfer pesto to bowl being sure to scrape sides of processor very well.
- Add cheese and mix until well combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your favorite hot pasta or place in sauté pan and toss fresh pasta in.