Strawberry Rhubarb Whole Grain Muffins are a snack worth sharing, made with whole grains, greek yogurt, and seasonal juicy berries.
I’ve been in the kitchen again. Wary of entering into Keith’s sacred ground, I usually occupy myself behind the camera shooting or at the computer editing for our work on Superman Cooks. The kitchen is Keith’s territory, and as my mother wisely advised me very early in our relationship: if you are lucky enough to have a man who likes to cook, sit back and let him do it.
Most days I follow my mom’s advice. But this was a special day. We had picked up some of the summer’s first juicy strawberries at our local market earlier in the week, and they were still staring at me when I opened the refrigerator. I had also been unable to resist a bunch of beautiful red rhubarb on that same trip (even though I had no idea what we were going to do with it). It was Saturday morning, and I was craving a somewhat healthy, grainy breakfast treat that Keith would never dream of eating, let alone making. I watched him head out to complete some morning errands and I quickly made my way into to his “office” with Strawberry Rhubarb Whole Grain Muffins on my mind.
I like muffins made with yogurt because they come out of the oven irresistibly moist, and they stay that way for as long as I can keep them around. I am also one of those people who actually likes grainy baked goods. Using part whole wheat flour and wheat germ gives these muffins a bit of texture in each bite. But it is the summer berries that are the star of the show here, bursting with juicy sweet goodness that makes summer weekend mornings something to look forward to.
Keith came home a few hours later to the enticing aroma of freshly baked Strawberry Rhubarb Whole Grain Muffins (and a squeaky clean kitchen that masked all evidence of me dabbling in his domain). These muffins were not exactly a “manly” treat fit for my superman, but they certainly made me (and my coworkers) happy. Let’s just say that he was thrilled that I found something to do with that rhubarb I insisted on buying. Check out some of our other favorite breakfast treats : Meyer Lemon + Poppy Seed Pancakes, Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins , Apple Pecan Sticky Buns
- 1 cup AP flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup rhubarb, chopped into ¼" pieces
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat egg, then mix in melted butter. Add yogurt and stir together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine (Do not over mix. Batter should be slightly lumpy.)
- Mix in strawberries + rhubarb.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling about ¾ way to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let muffins rest for several minutes before removing them from pan.
- Serve warm.