A decadent dessert celebrating the flavors of fall
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- For the filling:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 4 apples (we used honey crisp)
- 1 C dried cranberries
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C water
- For the topping:
- 1/2 C pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 C quick oats
- 1 C flour
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 stick frozen butter
- To make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line the bottom of a 10×13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly add the flour and salt and mix until soft dough forms.
- Press dough into bottom of pan and a 1/2 inch up the sides.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the filling:
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter and brown sugar over low heat.
- Peel, core and dice apples into 1/4″ pieces. Add to pan and cook for about 8 minutes until apples have softened.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and cook until carmelized.
- Add water as needed to prevent apples from sticking.
- Add cranberries and remove from heat.
- Stir until combined and allow mixture to cool.
- To make the topping:
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, pecans and salt.
- Cut frozen butter into 1/4 inch pieces and add to oat mixture and using your hands. Squeeze butter into mixture until butter is a mealy consitancy.
- To assemble:
- Spread apple cranberry mixture over crust and then top with crumble topping.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Remove from pan and cut and serve.