Good veggie burgers have become a topic of conversation that is near and dear to our hearts. I tend to choose meatless meals more often than not, and Keith's daughter has fully converted to a pescatarian diet for nearly a year now. Our family dinner table is surrounded by people with different tastes, preferences and appetites, both meatless and carnivorous. Keith is charged with the daunting task of trying to please us all, in an appetizing and conscientious way.In an effort to create a dish that would satisfy his diverse brood, Keith developed these sweet potato burgers. They are made with shredded sweet potato, white beans, and lots of savory fall seasonings. These are the most flavorful veggie burgers I have had. The rich sweet potato flavor balances the subtle hit of chipotle, and the texture is firm, not mushy like many standard veggie burgers.Now don't get me wrong, these yummy sweet potato burgers do not look or taste at all like a juicy beef burger. They do, however, provide a delicious flavor-packed meal for all discerning tastes. As we move towards a lifestyle that is meat-free some of the time, these burgers are an excellent, protein-filled option. Topped with chipotle mayo and served on a lightly toasted English muffin, these sweet tasting burgers are a meal that our whole family enjoys, despite our varied tastes and dietary restrictions.
A healthy and tasty alternative to the standard veggie burger and it has a fall taste.
- 1 C shredded sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 C canned navy beans drained
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ C bread crumbs
- ¼ chopped cilantro
- ¼ C chopped chipotle pepper
- ¼ C chopped pecan
- 4 English muffins
- In a large mixing bowl combine shredded sweet potatoes, egg, spices and cilantro
- In a separate bowl smash ½ C of the beans using a fork.
- Add both smashed beans and while beans to mix and combine
- Add diced chipolte pepper and pecans and bread crumbs and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Form into 4 separate patties and grill in sauté pan for 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Serve on toasted English muffin.