Beet Risotto with Bacon & Goat Cheese is a sweet and colorful appetizer with a smoky finish.The idea of Beet Risotto may sound a little unusual, as it did to us when we first noticed it on the menu at the famous Delmonico’s Steakhouse in Manhattan. Jackie took me there as a surprise one Saturday evening during restaurant week. The New York institution did not disappoint; it was a beautiful restaurant with an elegant atmosphere and an enticing menu. As we perused the menu, we noticed that many of the appetizers were seafood based, which perfectly suited Jackie. I, on the other hand, was immediately drawn to the rather unique choice of Beet Risotto.How could a famous steakhouse serve something that did not taste delicious? As we sat waiting on our appetizers to come out, I did notice this intriguing risotto pass me by, headed for the table adjacent to ours. Not only did it look beautiful, but the aroma was amazing. Ours arrived a short time later, and the smell of the bacon along with the creaminess of the cheese was purely divine.I was the first to try this dish, and it was just as good as it smelled. I did offer Jackie a taste as well, and between the two of us, we mowed it down, leaving our taste buds screaming for more. Despite my desire for more risotto, it did not seem practical to order another portion since our dinners would be coming out soon. We then ate dinner, which was just as amazing as the appetizer. However, I just could not stop thinking about the taste of that Beet Risotto. The next day, I asked Jackie if she minded if I try my hand at the recipe. She happily agreed, and we went to the market, purchased the ingredients, and returned home to give it a try. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how closely the flavors of my Beet Risotto with Bacon & Goat Cheese matched those of the Delmonico’s dish. It is unique, tasty, and very easy to make. This one is definitely worth a try.
A rich Risotto that has a sweet beet color and smoky bacon taste finished off by creamy goat cheese and nutritious kale.
- 1 ½ C Arborio rice
- 2 C beet juice, drained from can of beets (not pickled).
- 3 C water
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ C grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ C diced beets
- 2 C chopped kale
- In a stock pot, combine water, chicken base and beet juice and bring to slow boil. Reduce heat to low.
- While this is going, dice and cook bacon in large sauce pot and drain bacon grease, leaving bacon in pot.
- Add rice and cook over medium heat until slightly brown (about 5 minutes). Add beet juice broth mixture to rice mix one cup at a time and stir until the mix thickens. Add more broth one cup at a time and continue to cook until rice is thickened (like oatmeal) and is done to the bite (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Add butter, diced beets and grated parmesan cheese.
- Mix together.
- Add chopped kale and goat cheese just before serving.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.