A rich Risotto that has a sweet beet color and smoky bacon taste finished off by creamy goat cheese and nutritious kale.
- 1 1/2 C Arborio rice
- 2 C beet juice, drained from can of beets (not pickled).
- 3 C water
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 C diced beets
- 2 C chopped kale
- In a stock pot, combine water, chicken base and beet juice and bring to slow boil. Reduce heat to low.
- While this is going, dice and cook bacon in large sauce pot and drain bacon grease, leaving bacon in pot.
- Add rice and cook over medium heat until slightly brown (about 5 minutes). Add beet juice broth mixture to rice mix one cup at a time and stir until the mix thickens. Add more broth one cup at a time and continue to cook until rice is thickened (like oatmeal) and is done to the bite (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Add butter, diced beets and grated parmesan cheese.
- Mix together.
- Add chopped kale and goat cheese just before serving.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.