A beautiful, light, and flaky dish using black cod and a tart preserved lemon aioli, served with rice & veggies
- 2 6 ounce portions of black cod (skin-on)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 C Arborio rice
- 1/2 C mayo
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Meyer lemon
- 1 preserved lemon*
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- White Pepper to taste
- Zest of 2 lemons
- *TO MAKE YOUR OWN PRESERVED LEMONS:
- 6 lemons
- 1/4 C salt
- 4-6 peppercorns
- 1 Bay leaf
- Using a quart mason jar with lid, cut lemons in half or quarters and place in bowl. Sprinkle with half of the salt mixture. Let set for 5 minutes. Take lemons and pack into jar to release juice from the lemons. Add peppercorns and remaining salt after half the lemons are in the jar. Continue packing all lemons in jar. Juice should be at top of jar covering all lemons. Add more lemon juice if needed. Add Bay leaf and close with lid. Place on counter and turn jar over a couple times every 2-3 days. Allow to set for at least 30 days. Lemons will last up to year, with no need for refrigeration.
- TO MAKE THE AIOLI:
- Use 1 preserved lemon half and place in blender or food processor. Add mayonnaise along with salt and pepper (to taste) and blend until smooth. You may need to add more mayo depending on the size of the lemon. Add chopped parsley and refrigerate until fish is served.
- TO PREPARE THE RICE:
- Measure 1 3/4 C water into medium sauce pan. Using two lemons, zest and reserve 1 tsp of zest adding remaining to water. Juice lemons, add juice to water, and bring to a boil. Once water has come to a boil, add rice along with the juiced lemon rinds along with 1 whole clove of garlic peeled. Reduce heat to medium and cover rice and cook for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes, remove from heat and remove the lemon rinds and garlic clove, and stir in remaining lemon zest.
- TO PREPARE THE FISH:
- Using a heavy bottom sauté pan, place over high heat and add olive oil. Heat for 2-3 minutes. Prepare Fish by making sure fish skin is dry (by blotting on a towel) before placing in pan.
- Place fish in pan, skin side down and cook over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes to allow skin to crisp. Using a spatula, turn fish over and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes or until flaky.
- TO SERVE:
- Place 3/4 C rice in middle of the plate and top with the fish and use Aioli to schmear along edge of plate. Serve with steamed sugar snap peas