A Blackened Catfish Sandwich is a light and flaky sandwich that will transport you to the beach.These tasty light sandwiches make Jackie and I think of summer and sitting with our toes in the sand. We tried to capture this idea when setting up the shoot, conjuring a light and airy feeling, while showcasing the beauty and flavors of this Blackened Catfish Sandwich. Once I saw the photos, I decided we needed to begin planning our next vacation! We specifically chose catfish for our sandwiches, but this recipe will work for any fish fillet. Catfish used to have a stigma of being a dirty, bottom-dwelling fish that would scare people away. Today, most catfish is farm-raised and has a great fresh, light flavor. It has a similar texture to sole or perch. Jackie and I have always been partial to catfish, and have tried this recipe with other fish, but we always return to our favorite.When you read this recipe, it may sound a little spicy. Do not be afraid. The addition of mayonnaise in the dressing and the pineapple and cabbage slaw mixes well and keeps the heat level to a minimum. We recommend a cold beer or a margarita to accompany this sandwich, as it will be sure to transport you to the beach as well.
A light and flaky fish sandwich with has a little heat, however the pineapple salsa helps keep the mouth refreshed.
- 2 ea 8 ounce catfish filets
- 2 tbsp cajun or blackening spice
- 2 Ciabatta buns
- For the slaw:
- 1 C shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 C fresh diced pineapple
- 1/4 C diced red pepper
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- For the sauce:
- 1/4 C mayonnaise
- 1/4 C pepper relish
- To make the slaw:
- Soak the red cabbage in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, simply combine the mayo and red pepper relish.
- To make the fish:
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on stove on high heat.
- Coat both sides of catfish with cajun and spice heavily.
- Place catfish in high heated pan and allow to set for 4 minutes and then flip over and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Keep oven vent on and windows open as this may create smoke. This is ok the fish will cook perfectly.
- Assemble sandwich with slaw and red pepper tartar sauce and then cut fish in half and suck on bun.