A Boozy Chocolate Chip Cherry Bomb is the ultimate ice cream float for grown-ups.
With the recent purchase of an ice cream maker, Jackie and I have embarked on a whole new adventure in recipe creation. We both have a weakness for ice cream, so this may not have been the healthiest of ideas. However, making ice cream together is certainly is a lot of fun, and the final product is incredibly delicious. This Boozy Chocolate Chip Cherry Bomb uses our very first ice cream creation: a classic chocolate chip. When mixed with Cherry Soda (or “Cherry Pop” as we Ohioans call it) and some Rum Chata, this adults-only delicacy tastes like frozen style chocolate covered cherry.
Jackie and I are not old enough to remember old-fashioned soda stands and ice cream shops where ice cream was hand-dipped and combined with hand-drawn soda. We only know about these things from watching old movies. This recipe came to me as we were watching the movie Grease, a perennial favorite at our house. Watching Rizzo waste a good ice cream soda on Kenickie was just the inspiration I needed to create this decadent summertime treat. This Chocolate Chip Cherry Bomb is just as good without the Rum Chata. But as our readers know, we like to give every recipe on our site a special Superman Cooks twist. With the latest trend of adult milkshakes exploding everywhere, we turned this usual kid-friendly dessert into an adults-only treat by adding the creamy cinnamon flavors of Rum Chata. We like the idea of enjoying them with friends as and after-dinner delight. They are quite a treat, especially as the summer starts to heat up.
An adult version of a classic soda from the days of Doo-Wop
- For the ice cream:
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 1 1/8 C granulated sugar
- 3 C heavy cream
- 1 1/2 T pure vanilla extract
- 1 standard-sized chocolate bar, chopped.
- Additional ingredients:
- 2 oz Rum Chata
- 6–8 oz Wild Cherry Soda
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and sugar. Mix, using a hand mixer on low until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and the vanilla.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and mix until a soft serve consistency (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer ice cream to air tight container covered with plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours.
- To assemble float.
- Using a tall glass place a scoop of ice cream and top off with 2 ounces Rum Chata and fill remaining space with wild cherry soda.
- Place second scoop of ice cream on edge of glass.