It’s that time of year again: holiday baking time! Every year, we honor this tradition by sharing a family recipe for holiday cookies on Superman Cooks. As our readers know, we have no shortage of holiday baking recipes in our family. We may not be bakers, but our relatives are, and Christmas cookies are their specialty.
This year we chose a classic: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. But after discussing this choice with our favorite Christmas Cookie maker (my mother), she suggested putting a caramel square in the center to make these crinkle cookies unique. She has been doing this for years, and she always gets rave reviews.
For best results, chill dough in refrigerator for 4 hours before baking.
Keith whipped up a batch of Caramel Chocolate Crinkle Cookies in no time. We made some with and some without caramel to test my mother’s theory. As always, she was right. The caramel makes them better! These simple cookies are a treat for the holidays or any time of the year.
Check out some of our other holiday family favorites:
A caramel square makes these chocolate crinkle cookies a step above the rest (and they couldn't be easier)! Whip up a batch for the holidays!
- 1 C cocoa powder
- 1 C sugar
- ½ C vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ C butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- caramel squares
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cocoa, sugar, oil & butter and mix using hand mixer.
- add eggs (one at a time) and mix
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine flour mixture (¼ at a time) with cocoa mixture. Stir until combined.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours in refrigerator.
- Roll into 1" balls, then roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place ½ caramel square in each cookie, pressing down into center.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes.
For best results, chill dough in the refrigerator for 4 hours before baking.
Keywords: chocolate, crinkle, cookie, holiday, Christmas, caramel, easy, cocoa