I love a meal that you have to assemble yourself. It is a beautiful thing to sit down to a family dinner with loads of choices on the table. It gives you the freedom to create your own unique and individual “perfect bite”. I asked Keith to come up with this dish because I was suffering from carb overload. I wanted something light and healthy that we all could enjoy, but I also didn’t want to feel like I was dieting. Superman to the rescue. These light and simple cashew chicken wraps are quickly becoming my favorite summer dinner. Keith created an Asian marinade using a few easy to find ingredients. The cashews (added at the end) created a gorgeous texture that I love. And of course, we searched high and low to find the right lettuce to serve as the pretty pouch that holds all of this deliciousness snugly in place (a nice leaf lettuce did the trick).
Now I happen to like mine with the cashew chicken mixture and a small bit of brown rice all rolled into the soft, pliable lettuce leaf. But it is fun to serve these little gems with steamed broccoli, onions, peppers… The possibilities are endless, and it can make for a fun family meal. Enjoy!Print
A simple, light, and refreshing meal to make you look like an Asian Chef
- 6 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C Thai sweet chili sauce ( We use Durkees )
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/2 C sweet and sour sauce ( duck sauce )
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 C flour
- 1 large head of leaf lettuce
- 1/2 C cashew pieces
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil for sauté
- 3 C cooked rice ( recipe under side dishes ) just omit cilantro
- Place chicken breasts in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound them so that they are uniform in thickness.
- Place flour on a plate and lightly coat chicken on both sides with flour.
- In large sauté pan, place 2 TBSP oil and heat on medium high.
- Once oil is hot, lay the chicken breast coated in flour into the sauté pan and cook for approximately 4-5 min on one side.
- Turn over and continue cooking chicken until done, approximately 4-5 minutes
- Remove chicken from pan. Cut up into 1/2 inch pieces and return to sauté pan.
- Add sweet chili sauce, vegetable oil, peppers, onions,soy sauce, and sweet and sour sauce and heat over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally about 8 minutes.
- Turn heat off and add onions and cashews and mix into chicken mixture.
- To serve, place about 1/4 C chicken mixture and small amount of rice in lettuce leaf, fold up and eat as you would a soft taco.
- Great with fresh steamed broccoli