The brilliant green garlic scapes at the farmer's market instantly captured my attention. There was something about their funny, squiggly shape and organic green coloring that caught my eye. We had seen them before, read about them, and even eaten things flavored with them at restaurants, but we had never tried to use them ourselves until now.Making savory biscuits seemed like the right thing to do. It was a sunny Saturday morning when we wandered aimlessly through the farmer's market, looking to be inspired. We eyed the garlic scapes, quickly snatched up a curly green bunch, and headed home. I started with my go-to buttermilk biscuit recipe (Mark Bittman's), then mixed in sharp cheddar cheese, the chopped up garlic scapes (carefully dicing only the tender part of scape), and some fresh chives for good measure.
These savory biscuits were a crowd pleaser. I made them tiny on purpose, using a small glass (less than 2" in circumference); they were a perfect "two bite" brunchy kind of treat. Of course they are best served warm with a pat of butter. Isn't everything?
Not bad for a first attempt, if I do say so myself. Garlic scapes are now our friends. We may even have to try to grow some next year.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
- garlic scapes, finely chopped (3-4 to taste)
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients together in bowl
- Cut butter into small "pea sized" pieces and fold into dry ingredients. Combine thoroughly, smashing butter into mixture until blended
- Stir in buttermilk and stir by hand until roughly blended.
- Add scapes, chives and cheddar cheese, setting aside a small amount of cheese and chives to top biscuits with before baking. Combine to form a ball.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead lightly (dough should have slightly sticky consistency)
- Roll out dough so that it is ¾" thick
- Using a glass or a biscuit cutter, cut out 2" round shapes
- Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather dough scraps, and gently roll out again and repeat
- Sprinkle top of rounds with a pinch of cheddar cheese and chives
- Bake biscuits for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown
- Serve warm with a pat of butter
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: baked goods