Not your average dinner roll! These savory, light and airy popovers make the perfect accompaniment to any meal
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 6 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Heat milk in saucepan for several minutes (until luke warm)
- In large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In separate bowl, beat together eggs with electric mixer until foamy (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in the warm milk and continue to mix at low-speed.
- Gradually add the flour mixture.
- Continue to mix at low-speed, then increase speed to medium, mixing for 2 minutes longer
- Set batter aside, cover, and let rest for 1 hour.
- Spray a non-stick popover pan with cooking spray and set on a baking sheet.
- Mix 1 cup of cheddar cheese into the batter.
- Fill each cup of the tin to the top with batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and chives on the top of the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp. to 375 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes longer until golden brown