We love jalapeño poppers but wanted to explore an alternative to deep-frying them. With all the football playoffs going on and the Super Bowl fast approaching, we thought there was no time like the present. We think our cheese-filled crunchy jalapeño poppers are a touchdown for sure. Jackie is always trying to get me to come up with healthy alternatives to our favorite game day appetizers. Sometimes that is a tall order, but in this case it was quite simple. We managed to keep all the flavor of our traditional favorite dish without loading up on calories. We chose an array of colorful peppers to brighten up the presentation, but jalapeños are the best because the heat of the pepper is offset with the cool silky flavor of the cream cheese. I even made Jackie into a convert with these bad boys, as she normally does not eat peppers (it must have been the cheese). This dish can be prepared days in advance and baked on the day of the big game. It looks great and tastes even better. We recommend serving them with our Seriously Stuffed Mushrooms. They are sure to be a hit at your game day bash.
A healthier version of the traditional bar and pub offering.
- 10–12 medium jalapeño peppers
- 8 oz package cream cheese ( we used lite)
- 1/2 C shredded cheese
- 1/2 C panko bread crumbs
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp garlic chopped
- 2 TBSP butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a bowl mix cream cheese, shredded cheese, garlic, Parmesan cheese, until well blended.
- Cut top1/3 of pepper (lengthwise) and remove seeds leaving stem in tact.
- Place peppers on baking sheet and cut a small piece off the bottom of the pepper if it does not sit level on baking sheet.
- Fill peppers with cream cheese mixture generously and place on baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes
- In a small bowl place butter in microwave to melt for about 15 seconds
- Mix bread crumbs and butter together
- Dice remaining pepper from tops of peppers very finely and mix into bread crumb mixture
- Remove peppers from oven and spoon buttered bread crumbs over cheese stuffed peppers
- Return to oven to brown bread crumbs about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy