Sweet Cherry & Almond Scones make breakfast in bed an art form, with a little help from Bonne Maman Preserves.Growing up, I remember making homemade crafts for my mom leading up to Mother’s Day. I believe she always appreciated them more than store-bought gifts. In addition, I had an interest in cooking and would, on occasion, like to surprise my mom with breakfast in bed. Yet somehow, homemade baked goods (like these Sweet Cherry & Almond Scones) never entered my mind. My ten-year old self relied instead on scrambled eggs that were overcooked and stuck to the pan, accompanied by toast that was a little too dark. Even though my creations looked pretty bad, my mom would always force them down with a smile on her face.These Sweet Cherry & Almond Scones are a delightful Mother’s Day treat, ideal for a breakfast in bed for that special someone. Had I known then what I know now about cooking, I would have been making these instead of brown scrambled eggs. They are absolutely delicious and super easy to prepare.These scones are simple, yet sophisticated. The combination of dried cherries and sliced almonds gives them just the right amount of texture, while Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves laced throughout the dough adds a sweetness that bakes in perfectly. We love these cherry preserves because they are made with all natural ingredients: no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial coloring, and no preservatives.I would like to take this opportunity to hint that these Cherry & Almond Scones are not just for Mother’s Day. They would also make a great Father’s day treat in bed. This may prove difficult, since my kids are teenagers and are rarely out of bed before lunchtime. Dare to dream, I say. Whatever the occasion, these scones are a delicious treat for all. We like them warm and fresh out of the oven, served with a dollop of Bonne Maman Preserves spread on top. They surely beat overcooked eggs.This post is sponsored by our friends at Bonne Maman. All opinions are our own.
- 2 1/2 C All Purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 10 oz Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold
- 1 C dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 C sliced almonds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 C milk plus 1/4 C milk for brushing scones.
- Preheat oven to 450°
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 C flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to mixture. Using hands combine together to create a coarse and mealy product.
- Add almond extract, egg and 1/3 C milk and mix until it forms a slightly sticky dough.
- Mix in dried cherries and 1/4 C of the sliced almonds.
- Using the remaining flour, transfer dough to floured surface, then knead a few times to coat with flour.
- Using rolling pin, rough roll out dough to 1/2" thickness and spread cherry preserves over dough.
- Fold dough over in thirds to cover preserves.
- Re-roll dough out to 1/2" in thickness and a rectangular shape.
- Cut dough using dough cutter (or pizza cutter) into triangular shapes.
- Transfer to baking pan lined with parchment paper and brush with remaining milk.
- Top with remaining sliced almonds and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes (until golden brown).
- Remove and transfer to cooling rack.
- Serve warm.