Chipotle Cheddar Cornbread Muffins with Honey Butter are a Southern-inspired side with a hit of complex, smoky flavor.You don't have to be a southerner to appreciate the genius of cornbread. I was hooked long ago, from occasional trips down south and brunch at some of my favorite soul food-style west village joints. Cornbread compliments everything: fried chicken, grits, mashed potatoes, a cup of coffee, and even a traditional Thanksgiving meal. In preparation for the upcoming holiday, I turned over my baking apron to my superman, asking him to come up with a new side dish for our family celebration. After a bit of research and little experimentation, he arrived at these incredible Cheddar Chipotle Cornbread Muffins, served warm with a pat of homemade honey butter.
My midwestern mind was blown. One bite of these cornbread muffins, with a distinct smoky flavor and a crunchy texture, had me singing the praises of southern cuisine all over again. Keith was insistent on using coarse-ground cornmeal, which gives these muffins a textural bite. What makes Keith’s cornbread muffins unique is the smoky hit of chipotle pepper. This distinct, savory finish perfectly complements the traditional corn and cheddar flavors. A dollop of honey butter makes for the perfect bite.As we begin the preparations for our annual Thanksgiving feast (with a bit of southern flare), we can’t help but reflect on the many blessings we have received over the past year. We are humbled and grateful for our growing community, for good health, good friends, and for family, who we love to share meals with every day. From our family table at Superman Cooks, wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Chipotle Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
A great tasting corn muffin using a coarse ground corn meal for the texture and chipotle and cheddar that combines beautifully to keep the muffin moist.
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 1 Cup coarse-ground corn meal
- 1 Cup All Purpose flour
- ⅓ C sugar plus 1 Tablesppon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil
- 1 C whole milk
- 4 chipotle peppers rinsed, and diced
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ C chopped chives
- for the honey butter:
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ¼ C honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and use parchment paper or cupcake holders to line muffin pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, vegetable oil and milk and mix until combined.
- Add wet ingredients into dry and mix with rubber spatula until all dry is wet.
- Mix in diced chipotle peppers, ½ C cheddar cheese and chives and divide into muffin cups ¾ of the way full.
- Top muffins with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 16-20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- FOR HONEY BUTTER:
- place butter and honey in a small bowl and mix with hand mixer until combined.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: Southern All-American
Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says
Happy belated Thanksgiving, Jackie! Those cornbread muffins, with the cheddar and that touch of chipotle are stunning and must be sooo good! Love those southern flavors, I've never been south, but would love to! Beautiful pictures, pinned it!
thank you so much Nicoletta!
I only discovered cornbread this year and I am completely hooked! I also love anything with smokey chipotle....and of course cheese (everything is better with cheese, right?!) so I think your muffins look pretty awesome! Can't wait to make them.
thanks Kate!! You won't be disappointed! Please let us know how they turn out!
Emma @ Charlotte general contractors says
Happy belated Thanksgiving, Those cornbread muffins, with the cheddar which touch of chipotle are sensational as well as need to be so great! Cannot wait to earn them.
thanks Emma!! We are so happy you found us!!