Think of these popsicles as frozen banana cream pies on a stick (dipped in chocolate and nuts for good measure). Keith's love of bananas and chocolate is well documented. Truthfully, he is not much of a dessert kind of guy, but this combination gets him every time. So when I asked him to come up with a popsicle to help beat the summer heat, this banana cream number was at the top of his list . I'm not going to lie to you. It's simple, sweet, and nothing short of fantastic.
Keith and I had taken a road trip to Hershey, Pennsylvania last month. It is a lovely town that smells of chocolate, with streets lined in Hershey Kiss-covered street lights. Honestly, I had forgotten how much I loved Hershey Chocolate until we indulged in some during our visit to the chocolate museum. Its taste brought back memories of growing up in the midwest; the discernible flavor and clean design is iconically all-American. It just makes me happy. We quickly resolved to create a summer dessert using this classic chocolate.These banana cream popsicles could not be easier to make. Keith smashed up some over-ripe bananas, added milk, cream, and sugar, and froze the mixture in our popsicle molds. These popsicles tasted quite good on their own I have to say, but my Superman wanted to add a bit more punch. He melted some of our beloved Hershey chocolate and drizzled it on top of the banana frozen treats to create the perfect bite. This all-natural sweet treat has quickly become a summer favorite for the whole family.
**we're now on YUMMLY! please use the YUM button below to "yum" this and all of our other recipes!**Print
An all-natural, great tasting banana treat that tastes frozen banana cream pie.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pound dark chocolate
- 1/2 chopped nuts (we used walnuts)
- In a mixing bowl, smash bananas with a fork until smooth and creamy
- Mix in sugar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add cream, milk, and vanilla and mix until well-combined.
- Pour banana mixture into molds and freeze. When you place in freezer, also place a metal pan in freezer to use later.
- Once frozen, remove popsicles from molds and lay on metal pan that has been placed in freezer.
- In a sauce pan place enough water to fill half way.
- Place a mixing bowl on top of pot so bowl rests on top of pot.
- Place broken up chocolate in bowl and melt chocolate over med-low heat.
- With pops on tray spoon chocolate over top half and sprinkle with nuts.
- Continue until all pops are covered.
- Place bake in freezer for 20 minutes
- Eat and enjoy!!!