A classic french sandwich that is simple, rich, and elegant.
- 2 slices thick sliced french bread
- 6 oz sliced ham
- 1/2 c shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 milk
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- cooking spray
- 1 egg (for croque madame)
- In a sauté pan melt 1 tbsp butter. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and whisk over medium heat until milk thickens
- Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper and turn burner off leaving pan on stove
- Add 1/4 C Gruyère cheese and mix until cheese has melted.
- In another larger sauté pan spray with cooking spray and place two slices of bread in pan.
- Split remaining cheese between both slices of bread.
- Spilt ham and place 3 ounces of ham on each slice of bread.
- Grill until toasted about 2 minutes
- Top ham with 1 tbsp of cheese sauce mix (both sides)
- Combine two halves to make one sandwich.
- Remove from pan and place on oven safe cooking sheet and top with 1 TBSP of sauce and place under broiler to brown ( sauce will bubble)
- Remove and cut in half and enjoy.
- This is the Croque Monsieur. To make a Croque madame top with a sunny side up egg.
- These sandwiches are meant to be eaten with a fork and knife.