Crunchy Asian Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing is an light, fresh "Americanized" dish with loaded with flavor.
Jackie and I love Asian food. I prefer the Americanized version, while Jackie is partial to authentic types of Asian cuisine. This is most likely because Jackie has been to Asian on numerous occasions and has had the opportunity to try authentic fare. She loves all kinds of Asian food, and she has really helped me to explore different flavors and expand my palate. This Crunchy Asian Salad really falls into the “Americanized” version of Asian cuisine, but Jackie can attest that is truly is delicious. We used a mix of authentic pan Asian flavors like fresh ginger, gochujang and sesame oil, most of which can be found in the aisles of the local supermarket.
We believe what makes this salad truly delicious is the crisp, seasonal vegetables combined with the crunchy won ton strips. The fresh ingredients used in the dressing complement each other perfectly. My adventurous girl will try most foods without reserve, and salads are no exception. I love this about her, and I always love to listen to her food stories. One that always sticks out to me is a food she could not manage to eat: duck tongues, which were served to her in Hong Kong.
We can assure you that whether you are an adventurous eater or one that is nervous to try new thing, this “Americanized” Crunchy Asian Salad is a dish that you will enjoy.
A great and refreshing salad that is full of flavor yet perfect for the ones looking to eat lite.
For the salad:
- 1 head of romaine, shredded
- 1 C red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 C cilantro
- 1/2 C edamame, shelled
- 1/2 C shredded carrots
- 1/2 C sliced mushrooms
- 6 4x4" won ton sheets, sliced thin
For the dressing:
- 1/4 C smooth peanut butter
- 1 C cilantro
- Juice from 2 limes ( about 1/4 C)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp gochujang sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 4 tbsp oil
- To assemble salad: toss romaine, carrots, mushrooms, red cabbage and mushrooms together.
- Mix together all dressing ingredients and blend in a blender or food processor until combined and smooth.
- Pour generously over salad and toss with edamame and cilantro.
- In a small sauce pan, add 1 tbsp oil with julienne won tons and toss frequently while cooking over medium heat until browned and crispy.
- Top salad and enjoy.