Dark Cherry Cheese Pastries are a sweet and elegant idea for breakfast and brunch.Jackie and I are not huge sweets eaters. We always say there are two types of snackers, those that eat sweets and those that prefer salty. Both of us fall into the latter category. There are times, however, that we do have a crave a decadent sweet delight. For us, that usually means cake, cookies or the occasional fruit pie. This recipe for Dark Cherry Cheese Pastries borrows a little from each of these and combines them into a simple yet elegant dessert.The creamy cream cheese middle and the light and flaky crust are by themselves delicious. But to make this a little more special, we added some dark cherries. This made for the perfect little pastry. Our suggestion is that you make these the day before and keep them in an air tight container overnight. When you wake up the next morning, simply place them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. and enjoy these subtly sweet treats with a strong cup of coffee. If you have leftovers, simply heat them up after dinner and top with your favorite ice cream for a perfect dessert. A little sweetness can be addicting, even for those of us without a sweet tooth.
A sweet yet flavorful breakfast that is perfect to sit on the porch and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (clear)
- 15 oz can of dark pitted cherries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Thaw puff pastry according to manufacture.
- Roll out puff pastry to create a 12 x 12″ square
- Cut in half both directions to create 4-6″ squares.
- Place cream cheese in a mixing bowl, add sugar and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Spray 4-5 in tart or pie pans with cooking spray and place puff pastry in and place 3 tbsp cream cheese mix on top and fold each corner of puff pastry into center.
- Repeat until all 8 tarts are complete.
- Place on baking sheet and bake until golden brown. About 12-15 minutes.
- While they are baking drain juice from cherries into a small saucepan, reserving cherries.
- Combine cornstarch with 1/4 C water and whisk until dissolved. Add to cherry juice and cook over medium heat until juice thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool until pastries are done.
- Add cherries to thickened juice and mix.
- Top each pastry with cherries and enjoy.
Keywords: breakfast, cherry, cream cheese, pastry, puff pastry, dessert