Everything Soft Pretzels are an addicting homemade snack, inspired by the flavors of our favorite New York bagel.In New York City, bagels are everywhere. On weekends, we venture out for a quick breakfast and I always end up ordering an everything bagel. The smell that comes from the toaster is delightful. First, the smell of garlic, onion and pepper hit you; then the beautiful aroma of the bagel toasting rounds it out perfectly. This experience is what made us look for a snack that would enable us to enjoy those incredible flavors all day long.
Our family loves a plain soft pretzel with some melted cheese and grainy mustard to dip them in. A homemade variation is quite amazing and absolutely worth the effort. Remembering the delectable aromas of my favorite morning bagel, I wanted to create a flavorful pretzel that would take it to a whole new level. These Everything Soft Pretzels do just that, and the recipe can be morphed to create all kinds of variations. This basic dough recipe and topping can be transformed into a bun for a great sandwich, a pretzel stick to dip into different sauces, or a pretzel nuggets to eat on the run.We are traditional; we like to eat them fresh out of the oven with some hard grain mustard and a cold beer. No matter how you choose to make these Everything Soft Pretzels, be sure to make enough because once the scent of the begins to fill the house, you will have friends and family making their way to your kitchen to see what your baking.
Everything Soft Pretzels
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 10 pretzels 1x
- 3½ C flour (bread flour works best)
- 1 package dry instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- ⅓ c baking soda
- 2 eggs
- kosher coarse salt
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chopped dried onion
- For the Pretzels:
- Mix the poppy seeds, garlic powder, pepper, sesame seeds, and dried onion together and set aside.
- In a large bowl add yeast, sugar, salt and 1½ C warm water.
- Allow to set for 2 minutes, then add flour and mix until well combined.
- Turn onto floured surface and work dough until it forms a slightly sticky ball, adding water a tablespoon at a time if needed. About 5-8 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and roll dough ball in bowl until coated. Cover with loose plastic and allow to rise in warm place until doubled. about 2 hours.
- Remove and place on lightly floured surface and divide into 10 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log about ½ in diameter.
- Hold both ends of log and twist twice and lay on baking sheet and fold ends down to round part of pretzel forming the pretzel shape.
- Place on baking sheet and cover with kitchen towel and allow to rest to rise about 30-40 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with water and add brown sugar and baking soda and heat on medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 450° and lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- As water in pot starts to boil, place pretzel's in water in two at a time and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on baking sheet, continue till all done.
- Brush pretzel pieces with beaten egg and top with a mix of the everything topping and bake 10-12 minutes until pretzels are golden brown.
- Remove and dip into grainy mustard.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Matt - The Bluenosers says
I LOVE soft pretzels. I have yet to pass a shop selling them and not buy one. Love the spices used here. I can see these and some cold beers going down well while watching the game!