Fall is beginning to show its face. Whether we want them to or not, the days are slowly getting shorter. Every once in a while, I am beginning to sense a slight chill in the air. Suddenly, it didn't sound like such a bad idea to turn on the oven and make something warm. That something warm, in this case, was a batch of homemade granola, packed with super foods like rolled oats, raw almonds, and dried fruit.
Keith and I are trying to make a conscious effort to eat more fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. Starting off the day with a small portion of this granola over yogurt is a step in the right direction. The challenge is not to eat too much! For this recipe, we used naturally gluten-free rolled oats, raw almonds, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut, dried blueberries and cranberries. It turned out beautifully. In fact, I cannot stop eating it!
The smell of granola roasting in the oven is pure heaven. It makes the idea of less daylight and the promise of chilly weather a bit more bearable. Just do yourself a favor and make extra; this stuff disappears rather quickly.
A healthy, whole grain way to start your day
- 3 C rolled oats
- 1 1/2 C raw almonds
- 1 C sunflower seeds
- 1 C shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/4 C organic brown sugar
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 C dried cranberries
- 3/4 C dried blueberries
- Preheat Oven to 300 degrees
- Coat 2 cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray
- Place oats in a bowl
- Add almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut, and cinnamon and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine honey, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Stir all ingredients together until completely combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a think layer on the cookie sheets
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until light golden brown, stirring every 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the cranberries and blueberries.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container