Zucchini is growing abundantly in our very first ever vegetable garden!! In fact, we have so much zucchini we can't give it away fast enough! Keith and I could not be more excited. Neither one of us has much experience with gardening, so this year was a "trial and error" sort of situation. We learn each day, but we are very proud of our first crop. So what better way to celebrate than to make zucchini salad?This dish reminds me of summertime in Italy. How I miss sitting outside on a piazza with my favorite co-workers, devouring the fresh and simple dishes that Florentines are famous for. With Keith's help, I tried to bring a little Italy to Pennsylvania by re-creating one of my favorites: fresh zucchini salad. Now because this dish is so simple, we made sure to do as the Italians do and search out the finest ingredients. It is important to invest in a good, flavorful olive oil and a quality hunk of Italian parmesan with a nice bite to it. As for the pine nuts, we thought it was important to toast them lightly in order to bring out the flavor.This could not get any easier: just grate the zucchini, add the toasted pine nuts and shavings of cheese, drizzle on some olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Voila! A healthy, flavorful salad that tastes perfect on the back patio as the sun is going down. Now would you like some zucchini??
A light and flavorful salad that is so simple but oh so good!
- 4 C shredded zucchini (about 2 whole zucchini)
- ½ C raw Pine Nuts
- ½ C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shred zucchini using coarse grater.
- Sprinkle pine nuts in saute pan over medium heat, and sauté until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- TO ASSEMBLE SALAD:
- Place 1 C shredded zucchini on center of plate.
- Sprinkle with ¼th of the pine nuts.
- Drizzle 2T of olive oil over zucchini.
- Using vegetable peeler, peel strips of parmesan cheese over zucchini salad.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.