Asparagus is in season! Hooray! We love this uniquely flavored, slightly bitter vegetable and think that it is most delicious in its prime. The stalks are nice and skinny, and its natural crispness is at its peak. Grilling asparagus is the best way to prepare it. Grilling vegetables is a great way to bring out deep flavor because the “sear” of the grill locks in the juices. Adding a simple blend of panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, fresh lemon, olive oil, and garlic gave this dish depth and texture.This recipe came to us as we were working on a grilled chicken dish made with lemon. We had bought some beautiful stalks of asparagus at the market, and Jackie insisted that we come up with something different to do with it. We searched the pantry and, between the two of us, pulled out the ingredients for this dish. It was a shared creative endeavor. That’s what makes this blog so much fun; we are very in tune with each other when we choose what to make.I think most of us try to find an excuse to fire up the grill this time of year, and this recipe is just the right excuse. It is simple and easy, and it makes good use of seasonal, fresh ingredients. Grilled asparagus is a tasty side to fish or chicken, and you won’t have to dirty many pots or pans. So go ahead, fire up that grill!!
Grilled asparagus with a smoky flavor and a crunch that's tangy and savory
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1/2 C panko bread crumbs (coarse)
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Clean and dry asparagus. Place in shallow dish
- Pour 1/4 C olive oil over asparagus to coat
- Place asparagus on grill over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, rolling occasionally to cook evenly.
- While asparagus is cooking, prepare topping and preheat broiler in oven:
- In a mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and remaining oil until thoroughly mixed.
- When asparagus is done cooking, place it in an oven safe shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over asparagus and place under broiler until bread crumb mixture has browned (about 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Squeeze lemon juice over asparagus and salt and pepper to taste.