Where I come from, "guilt-free" and "chocolates" are not usually words that go well together. Although Keith and I share a passion for savory over sweet foods, a good piece of chocolate never fails to tempt us. We try not to keep any in the house for this very reason. However, my recent attempts to eat "clean" have taught me a few tricks. These sweet little chocolates are free of refined sugar, gluten and guilt. And you would never know it from biting into one.
These guilt-free chocolates are derived from some Clean Program recipes I have used over the years to quell my sweet cravings while cleansing. We used all-natural cacao powder, organic coconut sugar, and coconut oil. Cacao has natural antioxidants, and coconut oil is a source of "healthy" fat. We recently discovered Gluten-Free Pretzel Crisps, which I added to these chocolates to create that beloved combination of sweet and salty that we crave.These chocolates will make even the toughest critics smile. Cacao has a bold, dark chocolate flavor that is only enhanced with the richness of coconut and the crispy texture of the pretzels. You can make these for your health-conscious friends and still feel good about giving them to your kids. Everyone wins.
A delectable chocolate treat free of refined sugar, gluten, and guilt!
- 1 cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, liquified
- ¼ cup gluten-free pretzels + 5-6 extra pretzels for topping
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix the cacao powder, coconut sugar and ¾ teaspoon sea salt in mixing bowl.
- If coconut oil is solid, melt it over low heat until it liquefies.
- Add melted coconut oil to dry mixture.
- Crush pretzels into small pieces.
- Add ¼ cup crushed pretzels to mixture and combine
- Using a candy mold, pour chocolate mixture into molds, filling to edge.
- Place mold in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Once chocolates are set, pop out of mold, flat side down.
- Using a lighter, lightly melt the tops of chocolates so that remaining pretzel pieces will stick to chocolate.
- Gently place pretzel pieces on top of each chocolate.
- Sprinkle with extra sea salt.
- **NOTE: keep chocolates in freezer until ready to serve. Due to the nature of the ingredients, these chocolates will melt quickly at room temperature**