Hand Cut Fries drizzled in truffle oil are amazing by themselves, but adding dry blue cheese and fresh rosemary will make you feel like you’ve arrived at heaven’s gate. I love to make French fries at home. They are fairly easy to make, can involve the whole family, and they taste so much better than the ones you find in the frozen aisle I have mentioned before that I have an unhealthy weakness for all things potato. French fries, of course, are no exception. These hand cut fries with all of my favorite fixings are at another level. I devoured them so quickly and happily that I was rendered motionless by the end of the meal. The rich truffle oil, sharp blue cheese, and hit of rosemary melts together to create one of the most heavenly flavor combinations I could ever dream of. Jackie had to clean up by herself after this meal because I was blissfully lifeless in a full-on food coma. When making this recipe, you should use a nice, hearty potato: a russet or a Yukon gold. I like to “twice fry” them at different temperatures to give them a creamy center with a crispy outside. Please don’t blame us if you cannot function after eating a plate of these. I can’t even look at the pictures because it makes me want to make them again and again. A little indulgence is good for the soul, right?
A magnificent blend of flavors tops these amazing hand cut french fries
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 8 oz dry blue cheese
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 1/2 C truffle oil (we use an olive oil blend)
- Oil for frying
- Wash and slice potatoes into quarters, then slice them into 1/4″ fries
- Soak potatoes in cold water for at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours
- Remove from water and place on kitchen towel to remove as much water as possible.
- In a large stock pot, bring 2 quarts cooking oil to 300 degrees and place a handful or two of potatoes in the oil. Make sure to not overcrowd the pot. You should have an inch or two of oil above the potatoes.
- Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Remove fries and drain on sheet pan lined with newspaper or paper towels.
- Continue until all potatoes are “par fried”.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Increase oil temperature to 365 degrees
- Again cook fries a few handfuls at a time for about 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer fries to serving plate and drizzle truffle oil over the top
- Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles over the top
- Remove leaves from sprig of Rosemary and rough chop and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!!!