A sweet, satisfying and somewhat healthy treat (adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 c raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 3/4 c hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c toasted wheat germ
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2/3 c honey
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried dark cherries
- 1 1/2 3.5 oz bars good dark chocolate (we used Perugina 70% cacao), roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 9 X 13" baking dish with parchment paper (or aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray) and set aside.
- Spread rolled oats, chopped almonds, and chopped hazelnuts onto baking sheet and bake (to toast) for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the toasted mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add in wheat germ and combine.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan, mix together vanilla, brown sugar, honey, butter and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the oat/nut mixture and combine well.
- Mix in dried cherries and chocolate pieces
- Pour granola mixture into baking dish, and wetting fingertips, press down granola, evenly distributing it in the dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool for 3 hours before cutting into bars or squares