A Hearty Vegetable Frittata is loaded with veggies and a bit of cheese for a satisfying, light meal.
Frittata or quiche? What is the difference? Traditionally a quiche is a tart filled with vegetables, so I guess one could call this vegetable frittata a quiche. A frittata, by definition, is a French omelette that is browned and baked in the oven. Growing up as a young apprentice, I worked for a chef who taught me that his mentor differentiated the two with one magical ingredient: potatoes. He claimed that a frittata contained potatoes and a quiche does not.
If you haven’t noticed, we use A LOT of potatoes at superman cooks. So my idea of a frittata is what we stayed true to here. I was never a fan of “traditional” frittata because the thought of browned eggs does not resonate with me. We created this special Vegetable Frittata, packed with loads of veggies, herbs, eggs and cheese that is certain to satiate that craving for a light and flavorful meal. It is perfect for an easy lunch or late breakfast, and it tastes great warm or at room temp.
Jackie loved the nuttiness of the cheese and the creamy texture of the potatoes and eggs. This lovely rectangular tart pan that we picked up showcases the ingredients in an interesting and modern way, and Jackie put her special touch on the photos, making this dish look as good as it tastes. This simple dish is worthy of its elegant name; I hope that my mentor would be proud.
A great item that is great for breakfast, lunch with a salad or perfect as a brunch item to serve at a bridal or baby shower.
- *We used a 10×4 tart pan but a standard pie pan or round tart pan will also work.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 C potatoes, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 C chopped broccoli
- 2 tbsp diced red pepper
- 1/2 C Asiago cheese, shredded finely
- 2 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Press pie crust into pan.
- Add vegetables and distribute evenly into pie pan.
- In a small bowl, mix eggs, milk and all spices and pour over vegetables.
- Allow to sit for 3 minutes
- Spread asiago cheese over top of vegetables.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and slice and serve.