We’ve been strategizing our Labor Day barbecue, and we feel obligated to include some all-American hot dogs on our menu to close out the summer. While we love a simple dog with mustard and ketchup, we felt the need to add a bit more excitement. After some trial and error, we think we’ve come up with a what we think are three unexpected, winning combinations.
For as long as I can remember, whenever my mother was preparing to entertain guests at our house, my father would refer to it as “putting on the dog.” I really love this colloquialism; whenever I hear it I think warmly of my father and chuckle a bit as I picture my mother rolling her eyes or shrugging him off with a smile. So one could say that Keith and I are “putting on the dog” (both literally and figuratively). First up: the Pineapple Salsa Dog. This yummy concoction is made using our favorite pineapple salsa recipe, generously added to an all beef hot dog and served on a poppy seed bun. It is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Hot Dog #2: A bacon-wrapped frankfurter topped with baked beans. How can you go wrong here? This is a decadent but worth-while meal; it’s like having all of your favorite elements of a cookout combined into one bite. We chose a sourdough bun for this guy.
Next up: the Ruben Dog. Keith’s homage to a classic sandwich couldn’t have turned out any better, served on a sourdough bun.
- A good quality, all beef, natural hotdog
- Sourdough and/or poppy seed buns
- various ingredients as listed below
- FOR BAKED BEAN TOPPING:
- 2 small cans baked beans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup ketchup
- PINEAPPLE SALSA DOG: All beef hot dog served on a poppy seed roll with pineapple salsa (found under sides in our recipe file)
- BACON WRAPPED BAKED BEAN DOG: Wrap an all beef hotdog with bacon and secure with toothpicks if needed. Grill the hot dog over medium heat until the bacon has been cooked and hugging the hot dog. Serve on a sourdough roll and top with baked beans.
- BAKED BEANS INSTRUCTIONS: mix together baked beans, brown sugar, diced onions ketchup. Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- REUBEN DOG: grill hot dog and place on bun, top with diced corned beef, sauerkraut and thousand island dressing