Keith’s Italian Wedding Soup has healing properties. Trust me, I know. I had been battling a virus for several days and losing. One day, I arrived home from work and was greeted by the most delectable aroma coming from the kitchen. To my surprise, it was Italian Wedding Soup that Keith had been lovingly stewing over, waiting for my arrival. What a lucky girl I am.
Italian “wedding soup” (or in Italian “married soup”) refers to the belief that meat and vegetables go well together. Keith used turkey to create a healthier meatball (with me in mind), spinach, and orzo. It was so delicious; it really did sooth my aches and lift my spirits. It is also hearty enough to be a meal in itself. Thank goodness he made enough to last for several days!
It is a wonderful thing to have someone make homemade soup for you. You can almost taste the love and care that went into each bite. So what are your waiting for? Put a pot on the stove and get busy! Your loved ones will be sure to thank you.
A hearty, traditional soup made with turkey, vegetables and love
- 1 whole chicken, cut up in pieces
- 6 oz ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1//2 C diced onion
- 1/2 C celery, finely diced
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/4 C bread crumbs
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz fresh spinach
- 6 oz orzo pasta
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 TBSP chicken base
- For Chicken Broth:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place cut up chicken in baking dish and salt and pepper
- Place 1/2 C water in bottom of pan.
- Place chicken in oven for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil and turn oven down to 350 degrees and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool.
- Save chicken stock from bottom of pan.
- (This process can be done a day or two in advance)
- For the meatballs:
- In a bowl combine the turkey, egg, garlic, bread crumbs and 2 TBSP of Parmesan cheese.
- Mix until well combined.
- Form small meatballs by using a teaspoon and rolling meat into round balls.
- Place meatballs in sauté pan and cook until browned, over medium heat (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, place oil, onions, celery, and carrot and sauté over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken base and liquid saved from roasting chicken, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 quarts of water and allow to come to boil.
- Allow to simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes
- Add orzo, diced chicken and cook until pasta is done.
- Remove from heat and add roughly chopped spinach and meatballs.
- Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Keywords: soup, italian, meatballs, kale, broth, chicken