Thanksgiving and all of its glorious leftovers are finally behind us. Salads and greens have become a mainstay in our diet again, in hopes of shedding those extra pounds we put on during the holiday. This kale and pear salad with warm bacon dressing represents just that: a delicious and healthy new start.Jackie and I had a wonderful holiday this year. We spent quality time with loved ones and even celebrated a family birthday. With so much going on, healthy eating was not a priority (and believe me, no one complained). Now that we are in full-on Christmas shopping mode, we need extra energy to keep us going. It is no secret that my girl loves kale, but I have yet to fully take part or understand this green love affair of hers. I needed to come up with a way that I might actually want to eat it. What better way than bacon?I have made warm bacon dressing before on many occasions, most often to accompany spinach salad. It seemed to be a natural fit for kale, as its sweet flavors balance the bitterness of the leafy green. I added pears and walnuts for texture, and topped it with a few small crispy bacon pieces for good measure. The result was a delicious salad that even a skeptic like me can enjoy. Now in no way am I a kale convert, but this super food salad makes us all happy. It even gives Jackie the energy to keep pace with me in the shopping mall. She's gonna need it.
Kale and Pear Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
A hearty salad with a sweet finish
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 bunch kale, shredded
- 8 slices bacon
- ½ C sugar
- ⅔ C cider vinegar
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1 C fresh diced pear
- ¼ C water
- 1 C chopped walnut pieces
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Clean and wash kale and pat dry with towel
- Julienne kale into ⅛" strips
- Place in large salad bowl and set aside
- Chop bacon into ½ inch pieces and add to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and leave remaining grease.
- Add sugar and vinegar and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes
- In a small bowl mix together water and corn starch until dissolved. Slowly add to sugar and vinegar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened like pancake syrup (about 5 minutes)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked bacon and mix.
- Top kale with pears and walnuts. Right before serving, top with hot bacon dressing and toss.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Leave a Reply