A hearty salad with a sweet finish
- 1 bunch kale, shredded
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2/3 C cider vinegar
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1 C fresh diced pear
- 1/4 C water
- 1 C chopped walnut pieces
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Clean and wash kale and pat dry with towel
- Julienne kale into 1/8" strips
- Place in large salad bowl and set aside
- Chop bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and add to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and leave remaining grease.
- Add sugar and vinegar and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes
- In a small bowl mix together water and corn starch until dissolved. Slowly add to sugar and vinegar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened like pancake syrup (about 5 minutes)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked bacon and mix.
- Top kale with pears and walnuts. Right before serving, top with hot bacon dressing and toss.