Mexican Street Corn Salad is a light and healthy summer dish inspired by the flavors of our favorite street food.Like any self-respecting New Yorker, I am easily annoyed by the annual onset of summer street fairs. They close down traffic, cause confusion, and attract unwanted crowds to my neighborhood. It’s like an unspoken language between Manhattanites: when we see the booths going up and the blockades out early on Saturday mornings, we groan, roll our eyes, and give each other knowing looks. It is this kind of attitude that would have kept me from enjoying some of the best food in town, had I not met Keith.
This Mexican Street Corn Salad was inspired by some of that food. Keith, with his ever-positive attitude and curious mind actually got me to walk though a street fair for the first time in fifteen years. What I had not realized is that street fairs have changed in the time that I have lived here. Now, coexisting next to booths full of cheap sunglasses and iPhone cases, are tiny stalls of multi-cultural food paradise: local people sharing their food traditions and family recipes with hungry street fair wanderers. The aromas are enticing and the flavors are even better.
The Street Corn stand is always the first stop. Fresh, sweet yellow corn at the height of its season, grilled to perfection, slathered in a cheesy-buttery sauce and topped with fresh cilantro is hands-down is our favorite indulgence. So when Keith suggested combining all of our favorite flavors into a light salad, I was simply delighted. Keith combined grilled sweet corn with these beautifully colored cherry tomatoes we found at the farmers market. He added peppers, cilantro and red onion, and served it over a bed of greens with a homemade lime vinaigrette.I love this salad because it is light, colorful, and bursting with flavor. It is a great side dish for a barbecue or an entrée salad that showcases summer’s bounty. So even though you may still catch me rolling my eyes at the first sign of a weekend street fair, you can bet that Keith and I will be first in line at the food stalls, looking for some new and delicious inspiration.
A light and healthy salad using a street corn recipe that goes great with any BBQ dish
- 8 oz spring mix
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 6–10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1/4 C diced red onion
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 1/4 C rice vinegar
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 diced green pepper
- Remove corn from husks and place on hot grill to char the kernels, turning as corn cooks
- Remove when corn is 60% charred. Allow to cool and cut from cob.
- Place spring mix in large bowl and top with quartered tomatoes.
- Set aside while preparing dressing.
- I n a medium mixing bowl combine juice from lime, vinegar, diced onion and pepper, finely chopped garlic and mix until combined.
- Slowly add oil and whisk until combined.
- Pour over salad and top with parmesan cheese, cut corn and cilantro.
- Toss salad and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite main dish or top with grilled chicken for a complete meal.