Nothing says Fourth of July like burgers and dogs on the grill. Who are we not to partake in this time-honored tradition? For my first July Fourth in Pittsburgh, Keith insisted that we do it up right. And in true Superman Cooks fashion, he made me one of his incredible gourmet burgers. This mushroom duxelle burger is not just a feast for the eyes; it will make your belly outrageously happy as well.Since July Fourth is no time for dieting, so we spared no expense (or calories). Keith prefers to use ground beef for this burger, as it best complements the mushroom flavor. We also used a nice, hearty bun that was deserved of the delicious patty it was enveloping. No cheap hamburger buns here! And finally, we had to add cheese (as if buttery mushroom mixture was simply not enough). Swiss was the perfect complement. From start to finish, this mushroom duxelle burger packs a mean punch; it oozes with buttery mushroom goodness from the very first bite. It was the perfect meal for our Fourth of July feast, accompanied by an ice-cold beer (or two) of course. And who could forget those fireworks?Print
A grilled burger bursting with flavor
- 1 LB ground beef (I prefer 85/15)
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms
- 2 hamburger rolls
- 1 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP flour
- ½ C shredded cheese (we used Swiss)
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- ½ C milk
- Divide hamburger into 4, 4 oz patties
- Patty them thin and large in circumference
- Set aside
- In food processor chop mushrooms to a small chop
- In a sauté pan melt butter.
- Add flour, combine, and let cook for 2 minutes
- Add chopped mushrooms and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add milk, lower heat and cook until thickened.
- Transfer to plate and refrigerate until cool.
- Take one patty and add 2 TBSP of mushroom mixture to top of patty.
- Place another patty on top and pinch sides until well sealed.
- Do same with other patties.
- Heat grill and spray burger with cooking spray to avoid sticking to grill.
- Cook to desired temperature, without pressing on burger.
- Remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Dress bun with desired toppings and add burger.
- Cut in half and enjoy.