A pasta carbonara made in a non-traditional way: tasty yet without the heavy cream
- 1 lb dry pasta (we used orecchiette)
- 1 C frozen green peas
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 TBSP flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to directions on box
- While pasta is cooking, dice bacon up into 1/4" inch pieces and sauté in large skillet along with the garlic.
- Sauté until bacon is crisp.
- Add flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute over medium heat
- Add milk and peas (while frozen) and cook until milk thickens (about 4 minutes).
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain well and add to skillet with bacon mixture. Mix well over low heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until scrambled.
- Pour eggs over pasta and mix and stir regularly until eggs have cooked. You will see pieces of scrambled eggs. That is what you want.
- Turn heat off and mix in parmesan cheese, butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite white wine.