Peach and Almond Teacakes are a delectable sweet treat, ideal for afternoon tea.
It’s not very often that Keith comes to me and says that he wants to bake something. So on the rare occasion that it happens, I jump up and race to the oven, turning it on before he changes his mind. In this case, he was dreaming of a peach and almond cake, like one that was created by a pastry chef friend of his years ago. It was a favorite at the restaurant where they worked, and the distinctive sweet flavor combination has always stuck with him.
It was my idea to turn this recipe into small teacakes. It could be my obsession with bite-sized food or my love of English high tea that ultimately pushed Keith’s new creation in that direction. These delicately sweet Peach and Almond cakes were just destined to be small; they looked so pretty that way! These teacakes tasted every bit as good as they looked. Using the last of the fresh summer peaches, Keith lovingly sandwiched them in between layers of pound cake with almond flavored sweet icing. He explained to me how the original icing was made with raw eggs, but he chose not to do that for this recipe. I absolutely love the way it turned out. It is a dessert ideal for afternoon tea or to serve at a shower or luncheon. When Keith decides to bake, I know I am in for a treat, and this my friends is no exception.
A delectable sweet treat, ideal for afternoon tea
- For the Cake:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 additional egg yolks
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ C sugar
- 1¾ C cake flour
- For Icing:
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 sliced peaches
- In a large mixing bowl, cut butter up into pieces and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, yolks, almond and vanilla extract until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and make sure rack is placed in middle of oven.
- Grease and flour a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Using a mixer set to high, beat butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue mixing on medium while slowly adding sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high again and continue to mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium again and slowly add egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mix now on high for 3 minutes,
- Sift flour over mixture in 3-4 step: while folding flour into batter, using spatula until all flour is folded in.
- Pour mix into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean (about an hour and 10 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Allow to cool completely for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- To make frosting:
- Place cream cheese and butter into mixing bowl and mix until soft and fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add extract and powdered sugar and mix on low for 1 minute until sugar is combined. Turn onto high and mix for 3 minutes
- To assemble:
- Slice cake and layer with icing and fresh cut peaches or simply place cake on plate and top with sliced peaches and a dollop of icing.