A delectable sweet treat, ideal for afternoon tea
- For the Cake:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 additional egg yolks
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ C sugar
- 1¾ C cake flour
- For Icing:
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 sliced peaches
- In a large mixing bowl, cut butter up into pieces and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, yolks, almond and vanilla extract until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and make sure rack is placed in middle of oven.
- Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Using a mixer set to high, beat butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue mixing on medium while slowly adding sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high again and continue to mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium again and slowly add egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mix now on high for 3 minutes,
- Sift flour over mixture in 3-4 step: while folding flour into batter, using spatula until all flour is folded in.
- Pour mix into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean (about an hour and 10 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Allow to cool completely for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- To make frosting:
- Place cream cheese and butter into mixing bowl and mix until soft and fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add extract and powdered sugar and mix on low for 1 minute until sugar is combined. Turn onto high and mix for 3 minutes
- To assemble:
- Slice cake and layer with icing and fresh cut peaches or simply place cake on plate and top with sliced peaches and a dollop of icing.