Everyone loves French toast, and my little Francophile Jackie is no exception. I am always trying to find new ways to change up this classic breakfast dish, and this recipe is one of my favorites. Peaches and Almonds are a great pairing, and ever since my young days as a chef I have loved this combination. I like the idea of “stuffed” French toast; it makes for an indulgent breakfast for that special someone. While shopping at the farmers market, Jackie and I were lured by the smell of fresh peaches in the air. We hadn’t eaten breakfast yet, so we purchased the sweet peaches, raced home, and created this killer breakfast. The rich cream cheese, whipped and flavored with almond extract, makes for a decadent filling for the fluffy French toast. It compliments the sweet, juicy peaches perfectly. I like this recipe because it makes even the novice cook look like a chef. Here is my suggestion for the guys out there: the next weekend day when you can sleep in, simply set your alarm for thirty minutes earlier, prepare this dish, and serve it to your special someone in bed. She will be so happy that you will want to make her meals more often. Don’t be nervous, just keep coming back to Superman cooks and we will make sure there are guy-friendly recipes to keep the love of your life happy. If you have an amazing person in your life (like I do), you will most certainly be appreciated for making her feel special. Who knows, maybe the next weekend it will be your turn to relax and sit back while she creates a breakfast in bed made for a king. Cooking for and with each other is always a bonding experience that makes us happy.
An indulgent breakfast that combines peaches, almonds, and cream cheese: the perfect bite
- 6 slices French bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 peaches
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 3 tsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 C slivered almonds
- In a bowl, place cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 tsp almond extract and mix with electric mixer until fluffy. Set aside.
- Slice peaches and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, nutmeg, sugar, cinnamon, milk and remaining almond extract. Mix with a fork until well blended.
- Heat a sauté pan and melt butter over medium heat.
- Dip bread into egg mixture and pan fry until browned on each side (about 2 minutes on each side)
- To assemble:
- Place a slice of french toast on a plate and spread the cream cheese mixture and top with sliced peaches.
- Top with a second slice of french toast and top with almonds.