An upscale version of a traditional favorite.
- 1 12 oz strip steak, cooked to medium rare (we used a leftover steak)
- 1/2 C peppers, julienned
- 1/2 C onions, julienned
- 1/2 C sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 C milk
- 6 oz light beer (using lager is best)
- 1 C shredded velveeta cheese
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 - 7" hoagie rolls
- TO PREPARE THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter, then add garlic powder and then flour. Cook over medium heat until butter is completely melted. Toss in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk until thick like pancake batter.
- While whisking, add cheese and beer and stir until cheese sauce is smooth. Add smoked paprika and then move off heat.
- In a separate sauté pan, add oil and vegetables and cook over medium high heat for approx. 5 minutes and then add steak and remove from heat. Toss to combine and warm steak.
- Slice hoagie rolls and divide steak and veggie mixture and then top with cheese sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.