Pittsburgher Steak Salad is a fresh and hearty meal inspired by our favorite local flavorsWhen I was younger and trying to decide on my career path, I would often be relocated to different cities. Just as I would settle into one place and get comfortable, an opportunity would arise elsewhere. This nomadic life is somewhat common in the food and hospitality industry, and it has its pros and cons. One of the pros is that I was able to learn many regional culinary flairs that still influence me today. While my travels were limited to a few Midwestern states, I would always seek out local food that made me feel good about my move.
When I met Jackie, I was pleased to discover that she too had traveled for work, and discovering new foods played a big part in that experience. Though she managed to get a little farther away than I did (like a few continents away), and her culinary experiences were far different from mine, we both still share a deep appreciation for a good old American meal.Our readers know that potatoes are my weakness. I can happily eat them just about any way they are served. In Pittsburgh, it is pretty much standard to top everything with French fries: burgers, sandwiches, even salads. I can’t deny that this concept is both genius and delicious. But deep-frying has its limits, so I created the same flavors that I love using warm roasted potatoes. Fresh rosemary, blue cheese and red wine vinegar take this steel town traditional steak salad to another level.
When I shared my idea with Jackie for this Pittsburgher Steak Salad, she was a bit taken aback by the idea of warm potatoes on a salad. But her midwestern eyes lit up when she tried her first bite. My girl knows a good meal when she tastes one.
A fresh tasting salad that will please everyone. It is filled with hearty ingredients to satisfy even a large appetite.
- 6 oz grilled steak (we used a grilled strip)
- 3 oz mixed greens
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste (can use fresh)
- 1 TBSP fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 C blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 C slivered red onions
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 C olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place chopped potatoes, garlic and fresh rosemary in a medium mixing bowl and drizzle 1/4 C olive oil and toss to coat potatoes.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Remove from oven and transfer back to mixing bowl.
- Drizzle red wine vinegar over potatoes while warm and toss to coat.
- To assemble salad, line a serving dish with mixed greens and top with steak sliced thin. sprinkle with blue cheese and slivered onions. Pour potatoes and remaining liquid over salad.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil and squeeze juice of one lemon on top.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- The heat of the potatoes will melt the cheese slightly and bring all the flavors together perfectly.