This post is sponsored by our friends at Colavita and Perugina: Join Our Holiday Table. All opinions are our own.
The holidays for us are about two things: family and food (not necessarily in that order). As we prepare to celebrate our third Thanksgiving together, planning our menu is one of our favorite things to do. This year, thanks to our friends at Colavita and Perugina, we are showcasing not one, but two new dishes for our holiday table: Polenta Stuffing with Sausage and Crispy Sage and Chocolate Pepper Pots de Creme.Our Thanksgiving table is always about tradition. Keith makes most dishes just like his mom did: oven-roasted turkey, rich dark gravy, sweet potatoes with brown sugar, and egg noodles (which I had never heard of for Thanksgiving until I met him; the kids love them). When I came along, I had to add in some of my own family traditions: garlic roasted brussel sprouts, corn casserole, and popovers. As if all of that is not enough, each year we experiment with a few new dishes to see what sticks. This table--our table-- is a celebration of our history and our heritage, our combined family.
First up for consideration: Polenta Stuffing. Keith used Colavita Polenta Cornmeal (instead of bread) as a base for this incredibly delicious side dish. The flavors are rich and complex, featuring sausage, crispy sage, pistachios, and cranberries. He chose Colavita Roasted Garlic Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil to highlight these savory ingredients. I absolutely love this stuffing! There is nothing bland or old-fashioned about it; it is bursting with savory flavor and texture in every bite.Next, Keith used delicious Perugina 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Orangello to create these out of this world pots de crème. It wouldn't be a superman cooks recipe without a hit of pepper, but you can omit this part if you have an aversion to it. The combination of rich chocolate with a hint of orange is truly incredible. It is rich and decadent, as I prefer my desserts to be, and it could not be easier to make. The sprinkle of Baci Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Candy adds just the right amount of texture to this incredible dessert. These pots de crème are a welcome alternative (or in our case, addition) to traditional pumpkin pie.Both of these dishes make for a welcome addition to our holiday feast. They each combine modern elements with traditional ingredients, which will be sure to please all of our guests. Wishing you and yours a very happy, healthy, and satisfying Thanksgiving!
Tradition with a twist: two new ideas for the holiday table
- FOR THE POLENTA STUFFING
- 2 Cups Colavita Polenta
- 3 1/2 C Water
- 6 Oz Pork Sausage
- 1 C dried Cranberries
- 4 TBSP Colavita Garlic Olive Oil
- 1/2 C shelled Pistachios
- 12 Fresh Sage leaves
- 2 TBSP Colavita Olive Oil
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE PEPPER POTS DE CRÈME:
- 1 bar (3.5 oz) Perugina 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1 bar (3.5 oz) Perugina Dark Chocolate Orangello
- 2 Perugina Baci Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Candy
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- orange zest for garnish
- FOR THE POLENTA STUFFING:
- In a large sauce pan, bring 2 1/2 C water to a boil.
- Mix one Cup Polenta into a medium bowl with one Cup water and stir.
- Once water has boiled, slowly pour Polenta and water mixture into boiled water and cook until thickened for 5 minutes stirring constantly
- Pour Polenta onto a sheet pan 8x12 and allow to cool until completely firm.
- Brush 4 tablespoons garlic olive oil over top of Polenta and place in oven under broiler until golden brown, turning pan as needed ( about 10 minutes)
- In medium saute pan brown sausage and crumble while cooking.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same saute pan add 2 TBSP Colavita Olive oil and add pistachios and cranberries and cook over low for 5 minutes.
- Tear sage leaves and add to saute pan and allow to crisp in oil with berries and nuts.
- As Polenta gets browned, remove from broiler and cut into 1/2 inch squares to resemble croutons.
- Combine all ingredients, polenta squares, sausage, cranberries, pistachios and sage into large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place in oven safe bowl and place in oven set to 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- (prep time: 20 min, cook time: 30 min, yield: 6 servings)
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE PEPPER POTS DE CRÈME:
- Using a knife, chop chocolate into very small pieces
- In a sauce pan, bring milk and cream to near boil
- Add vanilla and cayenne pepper
- Stir until combined
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Pour milk mixture over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
- Crack egg into small bowl. Whisk.
- Pour egg into chocolate mixture, whisking rapidly until combined.
- Pour mixture into small cups and refrigerate for at least 5 hours
- Remove cups from refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.
- Chop Baci into small pieces and sprinkle on top of chocolate pots. Add orange zest for garnish
- (prep time: 10 mins, cook time: 15 mins, set up time: 5 hours, Yield: 4- 1/2 cup portions)