Pumpkin Spice Granola is a breakfast treat ideal for autumn mornings.It's hard not to get excited about the pumpkin spice craze. As soon as we turned the page into October, pumpkin flavors were everywhere, from morning coffee to evening cocktails and everything in between. We had to join in the fun. We decided to give a little kick to one of my favorite breakfast staples by adding seasonal spice, maple syrup, toasted pecans and dried cranberries. This Pumpkin Spice Granola is a breakfast perfectly tailored for crisp fall days, or any day of the year.
When it comes to breakfast, do not mess with my coffee. I like it simple: strong and black. Once in a while I will dabble with a cappuccino, but sweet syrups and cream are not for me. The famous Pumpkin Spiced Lattes that everyone raves about are simply out of the question. If pumpkin flavor is to enter my morning ritual, it would have to be in the form of food. Granola is the perfect vessel to hold a little pumpkin flavor without it being over the top. It was Keith who suggested that we use pumpkin as a substitute for coconut oil in my usual recipe, because it has natural oils that coat and flavor this wholesome breakfast treat in a subtle and tasty way.
I can't believe how much I enjoy this granola. It is crunchy, not too sweet, and subtly spiced. I have been eating it for breakfast each morning on top of yogurt, and sampling it by the handful as an afternoon snack. I have a feeling that Pumpkin Spice Granola will live on well into the winter if I have anything to do with it.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 C raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 C raw pecans, roughly chopped
- ¾ C shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ C maple syrup
- ¼ C brown sugar
- ½ C canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Coat cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place rolled oats in large mixing bowl.
- Add chopped almonds, chopped pecans, coconut, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, brown sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture.
- Stir all ingredients together until completely combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a thin layer on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until light golden brown, stirring once at the half way point.
- Remove from oven and let cools for at least 5 minutes
- Transfer granola into a large bowl and mix in the dried cranberries.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Breakfast