Roasted Carrot & Radish Hummus is not your average vegetable dip. It is an incredible appetizer with a secret ingredient.Let’s be real. Cut veggies are just vessels for a glorious and robust dip. You know, the kind of dip that makes you lick your lips with pleasure; the kind that urges you to forego all social mores and stick your finger straight into the bowl, winding it around to retrieve a large gob of goodness. Trust me when I say, Roasted Carrot & Radish Hummus is that kind of dip.This hummus is for people who don’t like hummus (Keith), and for people who do (me). What we both realized as Keith meticulously developed this recipe is that there is always a reason to have a good veggie dip on hand. In our case, this is the perfect snack to accompany some beers and a football game. It is also a crowd pleaser for any kind of party.
Keith carefully roasted carrots and radishes for several minutes to bring out their natural flavors. After combining them with beans and tahini (as a traditional hummus), Keith added the secret ingredient: dukkah. Dukkah is an Egyptian spice with an amazing combination of middle eastern ingredients that adds an incredible and unique depth of flavor to this recipe. I can’t say enough about this creation. It is a seriously good reason to cut up some veggies.
Hearty Carrot Hummus
A great twist on a classic dish. This flavorful hummus gives a texture not common in most traditional varieties.
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 3 Cups 1x
- 3 C Carrots, Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 C radishes, quartered
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ C navy beans (canned)
- ¼ tahini
- ¼ C sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 Tbsp Dukkah spice (Middle Eastern Spice Blend)* Can be found at most upscale market such as whole foods.
- *There are countless recipes for dukkah. It can be found at most upscale markets, such as Whole Foods. Just about every mixture includes nuts (most often hazelnuts, but various other kinds may be used alone or in combination), sesame seeds, coriander, and cumin. To this, a cook might add dried thyme, mint, peppercorns, or various other sweet, hot, and savory herbs and spices.
- Pre-heat oven to 400° and place carrots and radishes on baking sheet along with the olive oil. Roast for 7-10 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-firm (you want to make sure they have a slight crunch).
- Remove and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a food processor, transfer vegetables to the bowl and pulse a few times leaving the mixture to resemble a corn consistency.
- Add beans and pulse once or twice.
- Remove and place in a medium mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place in serving bowl and serve with toasted flatbread and an array of fresh vegetables.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
[…] were amazing, and the menu at the snack bar was loaded with inspired, local fare (check out our Roasted Carrot & Radish Hummus as another example). These Veggie, Ricotta & Honey Tartines are our version of a dish we […]