Sautéed Summer Peas with Pickled Radish is a fresh, light and colorful side dish with a complex, peppery finish.Summer is in full bloom here, and our garden is just beginning to blossom with its annual crop of generous offerings. As we patiently wait for our own peas to flourish, we headed to the market and picked up a nice batch of fresh green peas and sugar snap peas to create a summer side dish ideal for grilling season.I couldn’t escape the lure of the brightly colored French breakfast radishes at the farm stand; I thought they would be delicious accent for my mixed pea medley. And although Christmas is six months away, I couldn’t help but feel that we were creating a little “Christmas in July” with these delightful complementary colors. The bright green peas and crisp red radishes look great together.
Radishes are one of those vegetables that don’t normally get much attention. They are always an afterthought: sliced on salad, topping a sandwich. Jackie steers clear of radishes, labeling them as a vegetable with a “burning” taste. However, I find that pickling them eases the harsh flavor that most people are bothered by. French breakfast radishes are even better, as they tend to have a mild, less potent bite than the red radish found in most supermarkets. Adding the pickled radishes to the sugar peas and fresh green peas gives them a touch of heat. It’s like eating peas with a heavy grind of black pepper.For our Sautéed Summer Peas with Pickled Radish, I added breadcrumbs and lemon juice, which brought a light, crisp finish and rounded out the dish perfectly. I suggest to serve this with a nice steak cut of fish, like swordfish or tuna. This colorful, light, and healthy side dish is what summer is all about.Want more veggies? Check out some of our other favorite summer sides: Summer Succotash with White Corn & Edamame, Roasted Carrots with Balsamic Herb Glaze, Colorful Veggie Slaw
- 6 oz sugar snap peas
- 1 C fresh green peas
- ½ C sliced breakfast radishes
- ½ C rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 lemon
- ¼ C white wine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ bread crumbs (panko is preferred)
- To prepare radishes, simply mix vinegar and sugar together and place sliced radishes in a container and top with mixture. Allow mixture to soak for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
- In a large sauté pan, place 1 tablespoon olive oil and allow pan to get hot.
- Add sugar peas and allow to cook for 3 minutes over medium heat, tossing frequently.
- Drain radishes and add to sugar peas.
- Add the wine to the pan and then toss peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss into mixture and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and squeeze juice from a lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving plate.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish