Hooray! It’s football season!! Better yet, that means it’s tailgating season!! Keith has been challenging himself to take some classic football finger foods and add his own little “touch of magic”. Man, he really hit it out of the park with this one (to use an idiom referencing the wrong sport). Keith added some poblano peppers and fresh chives for his interpretation of a classic. These potato skins will blow your mind. Seriously. The unexpected kick from the poblano peppers is quite incredible. I needed to make sure to add sour cream to these guys, as the heat was such a surprise! It is no secret that I am not a huge fan of peppers, but Keith fire roasted these poblanos, giving his potato skins fantastic, unexpected flavor. Of course, we will continue to mix and match these ingredients, depending on our guests and our mood. But this flavor combination was amazing! We washed them down with one of our newest favorite beers, a KBC IPA. Not bad for a Saturday afternoon. I think I can handle football season.
A classic dish with a flair from south of the border.
- 2 baking potatoes
- 1/2 C shredded cheese ( we used a cheddar and Monterey Jack blend)
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1/4 C diced chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Pierce two potatoes with a fork, place in oven and cook for 60 minutes
- While potatoes cook, place whole peppers directly on burner of a gas stove or on the grate of a grill.
- Keep turning peppers until all the skin of peppers are completely black and burnt.
- After they are done take peppers and rinse under cold water and rub blackened skin off. Skin will come off pepper easily.
- Cut peppers in half and remove seeds.
- Dice peppers into 1/8″ pieces.
- Cook two slices bacon and dice into 1/4″ pieces
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Potatoes can be cooled over night if preferred.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and then again to have 4 pieces per potato.
- With a spoon, remove most of the potato from the skin, leaving a 1/4 inch thick skin.
- In a bowl, add scoped out potato and smash with fork
- Add poblano peppers, 1/4 C sour cream and half of the chives and mix thoroughly
- Align potato skins on baking sheet and top with potato mixture, then top with cheese and place in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted.
- Remove and top with diced bacon and chives.
- Serve with sour cream and enjoy