Shrimp & Quinoa Lettuce Wraps are a healthy, light, and satisfying meal ideal for hot summer nights. Our oven isn’t getting much use lately. Keith has a pretty strict policy about not turning the oven on during the summer months, and he tends to stick to it. In the interest of avoiding a hot kitchen at all costs, Keith can usually be found grilling on the back deck or assembling something light and easy for dinner. These Shrimp & Quinoa Lettuce Wraps are a good example of a summer meal that I have become quite fond of. Keith chose to sauté this particular shrimp (rather than grill it) because of its size. He decided to give this dish some Asian flavor, as we love that formula for summer meals: a grain, a protein, vegetables, and in many cases a fried egg. I think the fresh, juicy pineapple adds just the right amount of sweetness and the egg and asparagus gives each bite the perfect texture. Using the Boston lettuce as a shell keeps these wraps fresh, healthy and light. You can eat as many as you want with zero guilt. Our readers know by now that Keith does not share my love of shellfish. Luckily, my favorite chef does not discriminate when it comes to protein choices for the family. He puts his personal preferences aside sometimes in order to create meals that make us happy. While I think the light and succulent shrimp is what makes this dish unique, Keith chose to substitute it with grilled chicken for his portion. He was still able to enjoy all the complex flavors of his delightful summer creation and to share in the fun of easy family meal.
A light and healthy Asian inspired dish that is both good and good for you
- 8 oz cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 C cooked Quinoa
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 10–12 asparagus spears
- 1 C fresh Pineapple diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 head Boston Bibb Lettuce
- 1/4 C Soy Sauce
- Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Add vegetable oil and shrimp (chopped into 1/2 inch pieces) until pink and translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove from pan.
- Cut asparagus into 1/4 inch pieces and add to pan along with fish sauce, garlic, and pineapple. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Scramble egg in a small bowl, then add to pan and cook until cooked well.
- Add all ingredients except for lettuce and cook until warm stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and serve spooned into lettuce leaves and top with soy sauce.