Smoked Pepper Salmon with Asian Vegetables is a healthy and inspired dish with complex flavors.
Unlike most people, salmon is not often on the menu at our house. I have never been a big fan, and I don’t see Jackie eating it that often, so I kind of forget about it. This recipe is part of my conscious effort to bring salmon back into our vocabulary at superman cooks, both for our readers and for ourselves.
Jackie is an adventurous and conscientious eater. She is never nervous to try any of my creations. So, when I suggested salmon topped with a smoky pepper blend, she gave me a look of surprise, but trusted me and said “Go for it!”. I wasn’t quite sure where it was going to go, but I had this idea in my head and I had to follow it. The first few tries had me heading in a direction with Asian flair, so I went with it and decided to serve it on a bed of cabbage, peppers and edamame.
I believe this Smoked Pepper Salmon with Asian Vegetables came together surprisingly well. It’s even begun to change my opinion of this popular fish. Not only is this dish healthy, it has a great fresh taste and a complex balance of flavors. I have yet to try this pepper blend on other proteins, but I think it would be great on grilled shrimp or chicken. Please let us know if you try any of these options. We would love to hear about it.
- 2 6 oz salmon filets
- 2 tsp cracked blacked pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 C shelled edamame
- 2 c napa cabbage ( julienned )
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 C chopped mixed bell peppers
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Heat oven safe skillet over medium high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add salmon filets skin side down and cook for 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- While fish is cooking, combine pepper, salt, sugar and liquid smoke in a small dish.
- Remove from stove. Divide mixture and spread evenly over salmon filets and place in oven for 8 minutes.
- While fish is cooking, prepare veggies by heating by adding 1 tbsp oil to large skillet and adding peppers and onions. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and edamame and cook for 3 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Add sesame oil and sesame seeds and toss together.
- Place veggies on serving dish and top with salmon filets.
- Serve and enjoy