Smoky Black Bean Quesadillas are a meatless meal packed with cheesy, robust flavor.
Cheese goes well with everything. That could be a tagline at our house. For better or worse, Jackie is a cheese fanatic. She enjoys every type of cheese, while I prefer the creamy, melty and sharp varieties. What type of food goes with cheese? Well, from a Superman Cooks perspective, the answer is simple: everything! If we were forced to narrow it down, Mexican & Southwestern food would be on the short list. These Smoky Black Bean Quesadillas are proof of that.
We have vacationed in Mexico several times, and it is a constant source of culinary inspiration. Mexican food is layered in flavor and texture. It is easily on our menu at least once a week. Everyone at our house loves quesadillas. We normally load them with all sorts of rich fillings, but we have been challenging ourselves to eat a little less meat since the holidays. We came up with these Smoky Black Bean Quesadillas as a meatless alternative, and they are so satisfying and packed with flavor, no one will ever miss the meat!
The beans add the protein and texture that we crave while the combination of the cheeses hold it all together perfectly. Add some fresh vegetables and some spicy peppers and you have an authentic vegetarian meal that won’t make you regret the omission of meat. Pair these quesadillas with a side of soup, rice, or a salad, and it’s a complete meal that will not disappoint.
Packed with smoky, robust flavor & cheesy goodness, Smoky Black Bean Quesadillas are a go-to meatless dinner, tailgating favorite or party appetizer.
1 16 oz can black beans (drained)
4 Chipotle peppers
1/2 C finely diced carrots
1 C fresh spinach
1/2 C cilantro
1/2 C cojito fresco cheese
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 12 inch flour tortillias
- In a small saucepan, add beans and carrots and 1/2 C water. Dice Chipotle peppers and add to beans.
- Cook over medium for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Using a large sauté pan, lightly spray one side of tortilla and place oil side down in pan.
- Split bean mix, cheeses, spinach and cilantro in half and place half of beans on tortilla and top with both cheeses, cilantro and spinach.
- Cook over medium heat until browned and cheese is melted. About 3-5 minutes.
- Cut lime into wedge and squeeze juice over spinach.
- Fold tortilla in half and remove from pan.
- Repeat with second tortillia.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa, sour cream or your favorite sides.
If you prefer your quesadillas less spicy then please cut the chipotle's in half before adding to beans.
Keywords: Mexican, quesadilla, vegetarian, meatless, black bean, tortilla, dinner, easy, appetizer, tailgating, game day